Monday, October 1, 2012

"Why you have no mule?"


9/22/12 – So last night, I was prepared for “negosti” (visits to friends) and having my Macedonian family try to set me up with family members/local boys, I HAVE RECEIVED NOTHING! Hopefully, I will get to meet more people in the city soon, and I will be forced to go on awkward dates with some nice Kratovians : )

Today my fellow Peace Corps volunteers and I will be touring Kratovo. As my mom was leading me to the town center to drop me off with the group, we passed a donkey/mule on the street. She taught me the word for it and then asked if I had one back at home. I answered no, and she asked me “Why?” Honestly, I couldn’t think of an answer for it. I tried to explain that I didn’t need one, and she asked me again “Why?” I said it was rare in America to have a donkey/mule for transportation, and what did she ask me…. “Why?” I tried to say that they weren’t common in America, but I think it roughly translated to “There are no donkeys or mules in America.” This, I’m sure, is just going to be one of many cultural fails I have in Macedonia. 

 "Okay Mom, I'll get a donkey when I go back to America!" (Donkey on our street)

Once my group started walking around town, we got to see some of the famous old bridges and towers of Kratovo. We also saw the homes of where other Peace Corps volunteers are staying, an Eastern Orthodox Church, and we hiked up one of the mountainous hills probably because we didn’t know where we were going. On the way up, we got to see where some of the Roma community of Kratovo lived, which was interesting.

 One of the famous Turkish towers that is 600+ years old.

 Traditional Macedonian outfits representing Kratovo. Every region in Macedonia has a different outfit to represent their location. 

 This is an old building from the time when Macedonia was a part of Yugoslavia and under Communist rule. I guess people would receive their rations/food/etc from here. It's used for storage/abandoned now. 

 Cool Graffiti!

 This is basically a roof for a terrace. It's grapes! Gotta love a country that makes amazing wine!

 Many of the homes have peppers hanging from outside their terraces. Maybe these will be used for the traditional dish of ajbap (pronounced Eye-var)

Daren found wild "hops" (sp?) growing! (sorry, I don't drink beer). My favorite part of this photo is how I took a picture of someone taking a picture of Daren : )
 Daren and I at one of the famous bridges! Daren has my notebook my mika made and is clearly making a "derp" face. 

 Eastern Orthodox Church

 "This car has character!" - Daren

 Cookie! (Macedonian for Houses!)

 Check out the solar panels on the houses! My guides told me that they are becoming extremely popular in Macedonia because people can save to much money on energy. C'mon America! Get on board!

 Halfway up the hill on our hike.That's Lakesh in the photo.

 So this sign basically says "Park Here and I Will Slit Your Tires."

Dab is a beer here. This is basically the Macedonian version of "It's Miller Time."

After our tour was over, I headed home, but first decided to stop at Patrick's house. We decided to find out if we can really see my house from his terrace. Turns out we can! It was also funny to hear his mom talk to us as well...apparently there are plans a foot to have Patrick and I married.
 "Can you see it?"

 *Peace Corps has advised me not to take photos of the outside of my home, since anyone on the internet can see it and then come rob me, harm me, etc. My house is one of these houses in the distance : )*

 ....Another donkey making his way through my neighborhood.

I headed home for dinner after my "negosti" at Patrick's house. In Macedonia, the main meal is served around 4-5 pm. My mom had made a DELICIOUS stuffed pepper meal, and then proceeded to give me a gift. My mika LOVES to give me gifts, especially after I gave her a bunch upon arriving in Kratovo. I have received items to send to my parents back home, jewelry, and a wonderful place to live, and much more, but this gift definitely took the cake. As I opened the small wrapped package, I realized that my mom had bought me….panties. Panties. I tried really hard not to laugh, but all I could think about was how my mom in America gives this to me as a gift when she wants to embarrass me. I tried really hard not to laugh, which meant that I was smiling really big, which probably means that my mom thinks that I really liked the gift. I had to hide them right away (on the kitchen table!) because my tatko (dad) came in for dinner. So embarrassing! 

I spent the rest of the evening working on my Macedonian and talking with my parents. If I haven't mentioned it before, my parents speak very little English. My mother is pretty good at getting across what she wants to say, and we do a lot of pantomiming. Another great, embarrassing moment of the evening was when she taught me the word for breasts. I was warned during my training week in Kumanovo that there are a lot of subjects that are not "off-limits" in Macedonia. Luckily, my tatko was not in the room while we were having this discussion. Another hilarious moment of the evening was when my parents started using the word "negosti" a lot. I asked if we were going to have one now, but I asked in English. They said "Da" (yes), so in my excitement I rushed upstairs, put on make-up, and gussied myself up to visit neighbors. When I came back downstairs, my parents looked at me and said "no negosti, it's 9:00." Oops, I guess it was too late to make house calls. A little miscommunication with the two languages. As I sat dejectedly in my chair, my host parents laughed at my eagerness to get out of the house. I REALLY hope I get to negosti soon! 

Tomorrow I am going to an Eastern Orthodox Church service. I'll let you know how it goes! чао! (Ciao!)

No comments:

Post a Comment